Holidays and birthdays are sometimes difficult times when trying to decide what to buy for your aging parents. It seems as though they either have everything they need or want and usually simply buy what they want when they want it. There are some items you can purchase for them that will bring a lifetime of memories or are certain to make their lives easier.
Here are a few examples of items you could purchase for your elderly relatives:
- Send them on a vacation. If your parents have always dreamed of traveling, gather the funds and send them on a vacation. Arrange their travel and hotel rooms and offer them spending money to take with them so they don’t have to worry about cash.
- Home entertainment gift. If your parents aren’t healthy enough and don’t enjoy travel, purchase a home entertainment system for them. If they spend most of their time at home and enjoy watching television purchase new one or a radio or CD player if they enjoy music more than television. Offer to upgrade their television station package and pick up the costs so they have more channels from which to choose.
- Upgrade their furniture. Let them watch their new entertainment system in comfort by purchasing comfortable recliner for them or even consider buying a massage or heated chair. If you live in cooler climates, a heated chair will help them keep the chill from their bones and a massaging chair will help work out the kinks and relieve body aches and pains.
- Home healthcare upgrades. If your aging parents are having health issues, sign them up for, and pay for a home medical alert system and a medical alert pendant for each of them. These devices are worn by your aging relatives 24-hours a day and in the event of a trip or fall accident or other medical emergency, they can call for help at the push of a button. Paying for a home healthcare aide to make occasional visits to the home to monitor their health can also offer you peace of mind knowing that they’re eating healthy and taking their medications.
- The gift of time. More than any item you could purchase for your elderly relatives, the gift of time will be the one that is the most welcomed. Plan to stop by several times a week. Take them on shopping trips. Spend some time together preparing and cooking meals for the week so you can not only spend time together but make certain they are eating well.
As your parents age, you should do what you can to make them comfortable and feel cherished. Remember all that they did and sacrificed to raise you, and cherish the time you have with them now. Solitude and loneliness are two of the worst hardships your loved ones face, relieve those feelings by being there for them.