Falls can have serious consequences. About 10% to 15% of all falls in older people will result in some serious physical injury. Fractures occur in 5% of all falls while fall-related injuries are reported to be the fifth most common cause of death in the elderly population and the most likely cause of accidental death. According toYaleUniversityMedicalSchool, the chances of surviving are six times greater if an individual who falls is found within an hour.
Facts about falls
- More than one third of adults 65 and older fall every year in the United States.
- Among older adults, falls are the leading cause of injury deaths. They are also the most common cause of nonfatal injuries and hospital admissions for trauma.
- Over 1.8 million people 65 and older each year are treated in emergency departments for injuries from falls.
- Most fractures among older adults are caused by falls.
Other health issues also result in a more positive outcome when an individual receives early treatment. In the case of cardiac arrest and strokes, the sooner a patient gets help, the better his or her chance of survival. Early detection of falls and other incidents requiring critical care is paramount to reducing the cost of care and avoiding preventable complications.
These fall related injuries and other medical issues can limit independent living and cause great concern to family members. A medical alert system is a valuable resource and helps provide peace of mind knowing that medical assistance is available when seconds count.
The Medical alert system is a communication device connected to an emergency response
center via a phone line in your home. The system does not interfere with the normal use of your phone but, at the push of a button, puts you in touch with a trained professional in the event of a medical emergency. The customer provided medical information allows the emergency response team to provide informed medical care when needed.
When choosing a medical alert system, consider the following aspects:
- CONTRACT: Lifefone believes that seniors should not have to sign a long term contract. Whether service is required for years or a short recovery period, a medical alert system is something you should have easy access to.
- SERVICE: Customers should be valued and treated with care and respect. Lifefone IS the company, not a reseller. We know how important communication is and we provide anEmergencyResponseCenterteam ready to be called into action in the event you need service. Our team is based inWhite Plains,NYundergoing training to better assist our valued customers.
- PRICE: A medical alert system should be affordable. Lifefone Many elderly individuals live on a fixed income and Lifefone offers several payment plans in order to help make this valuable service affordable. For less than a dollar a day, our customers have access to peace of mind 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.